Advertisers often send out tags that they’ve created in their own ad server, for use in your OpenX ad server. While this may look complicated at first, it’s just as easy as uploading an image banner. This article explains how to enter a DoubleClick DART tag into an OpenX Source v2.8 ad server.
What is DoubleClick DART?
Most often you will encounter tags from a system called DoubleClick DART for Advertisers. DART is a special type of ad server that’s used by advertisers. Another system is DoubleClick for Publishers, but it is less likely that you’ll receive those tags. DoubleClick is a company that specializes in ad server technology, owned by Google. It is a commercial (and paid) competitor for OpenX Source, but at the technical level these products all work together very well.
Create a new banner
Just like always, you will first have to create the new banner by clicking the “Add new banner” link at the top of the list of banners of your campaign. This will bring up the “Add new banner” screen.
Select OpenX Generic HTML banner
The first thing you need to do is to select the correct type of banner. OpenX Source offers you a choice of multiple banner types. They include:
- Upload a local banner to the webserver
- Upload a local banner to the database
- Link to an external banner
- OpenX Generic HTML Banner
- OpenX Generic Text Banner
Not all of these options may be available in your installation. We will need “OpenX Generic HTML Banner“. If this is not available, you should contact your OpenX system administrator.
As soon as you’ve selected OpenX Generic HTML Banner, the layout of the new banner screen changes to present the relevant fields and options.
Enter banner details and paste the tag
Now all you need to do is to enter the relevant banner details:
- Give the banner a name, and make sure the name is a short but accurate description of the banner
- Paste the DART tag into the big box called ‘banner code‘. More information about which of the various tag types provided you should use is in the next paragraph.
- In the selection list below the banner code, next to “Alter HTML to enable click tracking for:“, make sure you select the option “Rich Media – DoubleClick”. This will enable OpenX to correctly interpret the tag, including the ability to count clicks on the banner in OpenX. The wording is a bit misleading, OpenX will not actually alter the HTML code of the tag, but it will ad tiny bit of extra code during delivery to enable click counting. This is perfectly normal, all ad servers do this.
- The fields for Destination URL and Target can be left blank, all the required information for that is embedded in the DART tag.
- You will have to enter the width and height of the ad, so that OpenX understands what the dimensions are and display it only in zones of the same size.
Advertisers often send a text file containing various types of DART tags. These text files are automatically generated by the DART software. The types provides often include:
- Internal Redirect Tags (for use in the DFP – DoubleClick for Publishers ad server only)
Just copy and paste the code provided by the advertiser, it’s usually the very last of the various types of tags provided.
Save and preview the banner
Once you’ve pasted in the tag and made sure all the other settings and fields have been entered correctly, save the banner by clicking the “Save changes” button. You will be returned to the list of banners of the campaign.
By clicking the name of the new banner, the banner properties screen will be displayed. At the top of this screen there should be a preview of the newly created banner: the ad that is displayed when the DART tag is executed.